Sunday, January 17, 2010

The day after a good bye dinner...

So a good buddy of mine just left for a deployment today and he will be sorely missed by both me and my children.  Mr. Dan has been hanging out at my house for about 9 months and he has been a real good friend.  he even tolerates the children well.  On with the story.  Mr. Dan came over for Christmas Eve and I was going to take him to the airport Christmas morning so that he could go to Connecticut and see his family but about midnight Christmas Eve he got a call and had to divert his tickets to San Antonio because of a sick family member.  No biggie I was glad to take him where ever he needed.  So then he finds out his deployment date and his sister and brother in law fly out to visit him the weekend prior to his deployment.  I told Mr. Dan that we would have them over for a dinner and then started the planing. It was not a big get together but we did have a lb turkey.  Yes lbs of turkey for 7 people.   I started the turkey on the smoker about AM and let it smoke until 530 pm when i took it off to rest.  Then we started  the rest of the food. we made a standard Thanksgiving dinner and fixings. yummy and then we broke into the honey wheat that I brewed  a couple of weeks ago.  Again yummy.  We talked about Mr Dan and his family and had a good time.  Cayla my wife called Mr. Dan out about his love life in front of his sister and then we all had a good laugh.  We found out a lot about Mr Dan and what makes him tick.  It was a very revealing evening. 
Good Luck and God Speed Mr. Dan be safe and keep your head down and your bomb suit on.  Remember if you hear DUCK don't look up it is not a bird...

You will be missed

No comments:

Post a Comment